03 November 2009

flower power saturday

so in anticipation of day of the dead, i knew i had to churn out some paper flowers for my bici. it was part of my altar.

i've made paper flowers at least once a year for as long as i can remember, and i totally make them en masse. i have tissue paper left over from years before, so it's kinda cool to mix up the colors & pipe cleaners.

so this is what i had on friday night:


De colores...

a good beginning but not quite done yet.

i went over to punchy's at the dolores HQ for the sidewalk bbq halloween edition. i find the two rambunctious kiddos that belong to the neighborhood. the sentiment "it takes a village" definitely applies to these two.

so i walk in with a mission to make a bunch of flowers outside while at the bbq, but the kiddos were running around and saying city kid things, so i got them around me and asked them if they wanted to learn. the girl, who was dressed as a pretty ballerina princess with pretty incredible face paint, immediately got to work. her little first grade fingers kinda stumbled, but she liked it a lot.

then the boy, R, a 2nd grader with the mouth of a 7th grader, sat down and wanted to learn too. i told them he could either wear them (yaaah, riiiiight) or give them to his mom, grandma, aunt, etc. he said ok. score, i win!

Flowers on our bikes...

(change your life, ride a trike...)

then the bbq happened. some things happened during it we'd rather forget, but chalk it up to another bbq in our pocket.

i still wasn't done with my bici basket, but i waited until later that night. the boo and i had a nice dinner, people watched, took pics.


Calacas. Flowers. Blue.


then we went home (before i was ready to i think...), and i sat and made flowers for probably like 3 hours straight. i then came out with color saturated flowers that i could be ok with for my altar. phew, that was a few hours more of my weekend. and we're only at the end of saturday.

Festive flowers


(soon after i parked my bike here, this bike messenger asked me, "are you normally this festive, or is it halloween leftovers?" i replied, "it's for day of the dead." the bike messenger nodded, "oh yeah!." cool monday morning interaction.)

9 comments:

m e l i g r o s a said...

your bici y las flores = ♥!!

the calitexican said...

she loves them :) smiles all over the place.

Rat Trap Press said...

That looks cool!

It weird but Dia De Los Muertos wasn't real big where I grew up on the southern border of Texas.

the calitexican said...

that does seem a bit weird. i would think it might depend where on the texas border one grows up. i'll have to ask the mama texican what her experience was.

Trisha said...

Beautiful! You'll have to post a how-to on those flowers; I would love to make some for my bike (or my house). They look great on your mixte.

the calitexican said...

thanks guys! i would love to do a how-to-post. stay tuned. :)

Adrienne Johnson said...

I still have everything but the papel picado on my basket. I can't decide if I want to take it off or just put a ton more on before the rain : )

the calitexican said...

i say the more the merrier before the rain!! then it's back to being practical and water resistant. i'm gonna keep my flowers on there for as long as i can. which means friday.

the calitexican said...

i say the more the merrier before the rain!! then it's back to being practical and water resistant. i'm gonna keep my flowers on there for as long as i can. which means friday.