10 September 2009

9/11/01 about 8:58 am

because i didn't go home to brooklyn, i was spared riding the manhattan bridge and seeing for myself a plane crash into one of the tallest buildings in the world. i know this because another coworker of mine lived 1/2 block away from me and we often took the same train into work. he told me they were stalled on the bridge and he saw it for himself.

i was about a 100 blocks north of him. i saw it happen on the morning news. the first plane had hit when i was in the shower and there was a weird static on the tv which made me get out of the room to look at it. i then saw the 2nd plane hit. the hairs went up the back of my neck in a way i never knew was possible. i knew that was the train i had to take to get into work.

2 comments:

Dottie said...

Hard to believe it was 8 years ago. I was studying abroad in Russia and remember not understanding much of what the fast-talking reporter was saying, but the footage told me plenty.

the calitexican said...

it is very hard to believe. it must have been strange or scary for you being out of the country and not necessarily easily accessible to your family by phone or other communication. it was hard enough here in the states. the lines at pay phones were very long. but this was also back in the day when people remembered phone numbers.

i remember that day, practically minute for minute since i heard the static on the tv. i could REALLY get into it, and i have in person, but then i find myself babbling incoherently, even though in my head i'm making perfect sense.