06 August 2008

a sista's gotta keep one eye open

said one of the contestants from tonight's all new project runway. indeed, chica, indeed. yes, i watch what happens.

and with that in mind, i have one eye closed, looking inside, and another eye on the future.

currently on the market: a blue mixte bike. my size. i wish!!! however, for my viewing pleasure and real budget, i must be content with something else. so i present you with my ideal mixte. the single speed, the bullhorns. swooooon. it's like looking at your favorite crush/celebrity/outfit/meal. it is absolutely GORGEOUS. why they shot it against that damn ugly fence, i don't know.

oh, and with my one eye on the rest of the real world, i've been noticing lately that i've seen quite a few individuals that have been on this earth a few more decades than myself riding their bikes. and these people are very interesting to me. why? because they are always smiling. and not just the smile and the nod and are on their way thank you very much, but rather a full on constant smile with teeth showing. and staring straight ahead, smiling, and riding slow and steady through the sunlight. it's really cute to observe, and it makes me happy to see someone simply and throughly enjoying themselves. i wonder what they are thinking. why they are smiling. do they feel like they are 5 again, winning their first fast independence from mom and dad? are they happy because they like the wind in their grey hair, the sun reflecting off their light clothes? happy because they have nothing to do and are out for a ride, going to work, going to meet a friend?

whatever it is, they are all so pleasant, and make people watching just that much more, well, MORE.

2 comments:

Imelda said...

Whew. I ride for fun and am definitely NOT a cyclist, but I know that I love the bullhorns on my other bikes. So glad other folks are into bullhorns on mixte frames. I just nabbed a pristine brown Niitaka singlespeed from some dude in Huntington Beach the other day, and he tried to convince me that putting bullhorns on it would be lame, and to keep the flat bars he threw on it. Thanks for making me feel like I'm not crazy.

THE CALITEXICAN said...

and apparently from what i've seen online, it's not only us two either! i just really like the positions that the bullhorns offer. i guess if some people care about looks and all that, it could be considered silly, but i'm all about the practical...and aesthetics. i am not a fan of the flat bars except on mountain bikes.

your new ride sounds great! i love brown myself...i search craigslist everyday looking for my ever elusive mixte. one day soon hopefully i'll be able to nab her. i'll be having extra space soon. i.cannot.wait.